Thursday, May 5, 2011

Generosity, a coincidence, and a new excuse

GENEROSITY: I asked a teacher, today, about when we were going to start taking up collections. We are taking up a collection for the Kreider family and our students who lost their homes. Mr. Kreider could not afford one funeral, let alone three. She said that, we don't know who, but someone paid the entire cost of the funerals. Wow.

COINCIDENCE: We have a student, who arrived a few months, ago. I was talking with her and remembered why she came in the middle of the school year. Her father is military and they were living, in Japan. They lived through the earthquake. It was a voluntary evacuation, so they returned to Alabama. I asked her about the tornado. She said that her father returned, from Japan, on April, 26. As would be expected, his family is giving him a hard time about attracting natural disasters.

NEW EXCUSE: Yesterday, I had a second grade class that had three students who had lost their homes. I told the class that any books lost, in the storm, would be okay. One girl said, "my home wasn't damaged, but my book was on the back deck and it was sucked away." I asked her why her book was on the back deck, when she knew there was going to be severe weather. She said she was reading, on the back deck, when they had to run to the basement. I didn't ask her why she didn't take the book with her.

Note: This will be my last post that does not include pictures of my sweet children. I can't commit to stopping tornado stories, though. I still have not been able to drive through the area that the tornado damaged homes. The roads are closed. When I experience that, the homes will bulldozed and gone. Still, it will be memorable.

No comments: